Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Believe*Remain*Trust


There have been a lot of wrong-way driving incidents in the news recently haven’t there?

Unfortunately, some of these stories have had tragic ending.  Others have made me think “oh no, not again!”

I had my first encounter with a wrong way driver about 12 years ago.  We were coming home late one night after a long weekend in Heber. We’re driving South on the 87, just a couple of miles north of the Saguaro Lake  turn-off.

Do you know the area I’m talking about?  Big rocks between 4 lanes.  Very clearly a divided highway.

I’m driving in the left lane, just cruising along listening to my favorite CD.  So I’m be-bopping down the highway and in the far off distance I see headlights coming.  As we get closer to each other I realize this car is coming towards me in my lane!  And they weren't slowing down either!  As our cars approached each other I suddenly swerved into the right lane to avoid a head-on collision.

I watched in my rear-view mirror as their tail-lights disappeared into the night.

I was thinking what just happened?  My heart was pounding, my palms were sweating, and I was freaking out.

I do know this, it was a very surreal moment; kind of like a scene from the Matrix.  A couple of weeks later the incident was filed away as a distant memory.


BELIEVE * REMAIN * TRUST

Just a few weeks ago I had another encounter with a wrong way driver.  Only this time it was broad daylight.  Right up the road on Sossaman.  I was coming South on Sossaman just before you get to the airport. 

Here comes a car driving on the wrong side of the road.  The car travelling in front of me swerved over and for a split second I’m flashing back to that night 12 years ago.
Again it was surreal, why is this car coming at me, confusion because it’s not a normal to have a car traveling at you right.


BELIEVE*REMAIN*TRUST

God used this recent wrong way driver incident to remind me how subtly I can get distracted.  As I was talking to some friends about the recent wrong way driving events I shared that in that moment, that split second when the car is coming at you, your mind can’t process the fact that a car is coming at you in your lane.  It’s not what my brain will immediately process as truth.  But, if I don’t react and get I the other lane I’m going to be in an accident!

Maybe a few days slip by and I haven’t prayed, opened my bible or looked at my devotional.  If I’m honest with myself I am easily lulled into believing I have my life under control,  Surely, I’d know if I were being led astray.  I've got my words/desires under control.  My husband will understand if I’m gone a few extra nights this week.  Which turns a few extra nights for weeks.

Just insert whatever may be going on in your life right now.  Is it pride? Doggone it you’re right you just know it!  Is it anger? Maybe you’re so angry with someone right now  can't seem to focus on anything but how you've been wronged?  Maybe your life isn't turning out to your expectations.  Or perhaps, perhaps the rug just get jerked out from underneath you and you’re still trying to catch your breath?



BELIEVE* REMAIN*TRUST


It’s been my experience that I’m either going into a season, I’m smack dab in the middle of what seems like it’s never ending season or I've just come out of a season. 
If you've known me for very long you've probably heard me say, “it’s a process” or “I’m in the process.”  I believe for me it’s in the process not the outcome that God teaches me.


  BELIEVE* REMAIN*TRUST


Believe – What do I believe?  Do I believe what the world says is true?  Or do I take a moment to seek God and read what he says in his word?

Hebrews 11:6 NLV
“A man cannot please God unless he has faith.  Anyone who comes to God must believe that HE is.  That one must also know that God gives what is promised to the one who keeps looking for Him.”



Trust – Do I trust myself?  Should I trust myself?  My best friend?  Or do I trust in the One who won’t misled me, who truly wants what’s best for me?  Did you know that trust in the bible is often times translated as lean on?  

 Proverbs 3:5 AMP
“Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with ALL your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.”



Remain – Just as in my wrong-way driver experience: Am I going to remain in the wrong lane or am I going to switch lanes per say?

  John 15:5 NET
“I am the vine; you are the branches.  The one who remains in me and I in him bears much fruit, because apart from me you can accomplish nothing.”



It’s my hope that these 3 simple words will be our mantra or theme this year.

                                                      Believe * Trust* Remain

What I believe builds on trustThe One I Trust in is only solidified when I remain.


In life we won't be in control of our circumstances, but we have a choice in how we react.  I pray this for each of us:

When the world seems uncertain we
BELIEVE
When the outcome seems hopeless we
TRUST
In the midst of life’s storms we
REMAIN


Pray: Lord, we humbly come before your throne today, so grateful for Jesus.  Father, as your daughters empty of us of our unbelief.  Fill us with the ability to believe even more than we ever thought possible.  To trust in you implicitly when the chaos becomes great.  To remain steadfast under your guidance.  Thank you that today we have an opportunity to know you a little bit better than we did yesterday,


I pray all this in Christ Jesus name, and all Jesus girls said….

~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment