Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tender Mercies


Today I am thinking about all the little things that come up unexpectedly that I want to take notice of with a spirit of gratitude. My 14 year old leaned his head out the window this evening and breathed in and said, “How I love the smell of rain!”

It made me think of all the things I really cherish that are nothing at all on their own to others, but for me are tiny tender mercies:

The sound of laughter in the house.
A hot cup of coffee on a brisk fall morning.
Real hugs from teenage boys.
A dad who always calls me “sugar”.
Sunshine on my face.
Prancing puppy at my feet.
Sweet text from a faithful friend.
Winter slippers on my feet.
Flickering candle and quiet moments at day’s end.

These are not coincidences, small pleasures, simple realities. These are tender mercies, sweet comforts. Shall we overlook these gentle graces? No. Let us name them and give thanks to our Father of many mercies.

“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”
                                    ~2 Corinthians 1:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment